What to do when someone passes away?

If the death occurs at home, first the general practitioner or emergency physician should be informed. In event of a death in hospital or a senior citizen's home, the nursing staff or administration will initiate the necessary formalities.

The doctor will issue a death certificate and present it to you. You should then notify your trusted funeral director.

For death administration purposes and other formalities, you’ll need the following documents of the deceased:

  • Identity card and / or passport
  • All death certificates issued by the physician
  • Birth certificate and / or family book
If other documents are required, the funeral director or competent authority will inform you.
Death procedures generally occur as follows:
If the deceased has left behind a written declaration of funeral wishes, the relatives are bound to respect his/her will. Otherwise, it is assumed that the grievers will decide the form and type of burial appropriate for the deceased.
In this case, the order of the mourners as decision-makers, as defined by the law, is as follows:
  1. The spouse or registered partner,
  2. the children,
  3. the parents,
  4. the siblings,
  5. the partner of a non-married/non-registered living arrangement,
  6. other custodian(s),
  7. the grandparents,
  8. the grandchildren
  9. other relatives up to the third degree.